If you are serious about getting rid of body fat then you need to make time for proper nutrition. With fat loss training its also important to switch between different strategies such as metabolic resistance training, strength training and strength plus conditioning to consistently keep the body surprised and working hard to try and return to homeostasis.
When trying to burn fat, its important to rotate between alactate (without lactic acid) conditioning involving short, intense work and lactate (produces lactic acid as a byproduct) conditioning that is of a slightly longer duration.
8 Rules for fat loss training:
1. Put nutrition FIRST! – what you eat is the most important factor in determining fat loss. If your serious about loosing fat you need to make time for buying fresh produce, plan and cook meals and keep a food journal.
2. Pick big, hard exercises – the best exercises for fat loss are big, hard, compound multi-joint movements that utilise as many muscles as possible (e.g. squat, deadlift, bench press, chin-ups)
3. Get stronger – When your goals is fat loss, you want to burn as much fuel as possible. To do this it needs to be inefficient at a movement. The body becomes very efficient at cardiovascular exercise quickly, and therefore it quickly becomes less effective. The opposite is true for strength training. The better you become at strength training, the more weight you can lift and the more it takes out of you. Programming periods of specific strength building training will allow you to push hard and faster with other metabolic conditioning exercises. This makes them more effective for getting rid of unwanted fat.
4. Build Muscle – A few extra kilos of lean muscles can mean a lot more calories burned each day
5. Fire up metabolism post training – Fat loss training is about what burns the most fat in the 24hr period POST training. Short, high intensity exercise creates an oxygen debt and this results in a boost in metabolism long after training is over
6. Schedule wisely – Consider how different styles of training affect recovery. Allow for time between stressors.
7. Rotate Stratergies – For fat loss training it is important to rotate and schedule a number of different training styles, particularly the following:
Metabolic resistance training
Strength plus conditioning
8. Get outside – Switch up training routine and get outside, try running sprints outside and over different terrain to enjoy the benfits outside of your work in the gym.