Resistance bands offer all the benefits of an effective resistance training program. The use of resistance bands allows free range of motion, variable speed of movement and progressive resistance. When compared with the use of free weights (e.g. Dumbbells), the amount of muscle fibers activated and the amount of force provided by the muscle is similar. Therefore, resistance training programs utilizing resistance bands increase muscle strength and size in a similar way to free weights.
Benefits of Resistance Bands
1. They offer a mechanical advantage. Resistance is maintained throughout the entire motion of the exercise, working the muscle even when parts of the lift movement isn’t against gravity.
2. They allow you to perform movements in the horizontal plane. e.g. twisting, side movement and sport specific movement patterns. Performing movements in the horizontal plane also prepare the body for daily tasks that require lifts twisting and turning, reducing the risk of injury.
3. They give you the ability to change muscle emphasis. This can help shift the force to certain muscles and protect the joints e.g. hamstring emphasis during squatting to protect the knee.
4. Tension is present throughout the entire range of motion. The elastic material in the bands provides resistance with its own properties
5. Resistance increases as the range of motion increases. This means the muscles receives greater resistance at its strongest point, stimulating strength adaption.
6. Prevents you from ‘cheating’ on an exercise. The elastic properties of the band do not allow you to cheat by using momentum. Resistance is coming from stretching the elastic material and not the weight of the equipment. You are only able to perform the movement by recruiting more muscle fibers.
Resistance bands are an easy and convenient addition to any strength training program and suitable for all fitness levels.
Why not join one of our resistance band classes today and reap some of these benefits!